Third Annual SuriCon in Prague!
A Fantastic 3 Days with Another Sold-out Suricata Crowd!
For the third year, Suricata’s community of developers, users, and business leaders from around the world joined us for SuriCon 2017 in Prague. Thanks to our incredible speakers, our generous sponsors, and all the fantastic attendees it was a great week of training, talks, networking, and community! Below are some highlights, photos, sketches by Frank Tizzoni, and the presentation decks from our amazing speakers. Presentations will be added as we receive them from the speakers. Thank you! The OISF Team
- Excited to be back in Europe and hopeful for 130 attendees, but in the final weeks before the conference registrations spiked — as a result, SuriCon 2017 sold out for the third year in a row at 176 attendees!
- Over 60 organizations from around the world were represented — a great testament to Suricata’s global reach.
- As requested at SuriCon 2016, we expanded the conference to 3 full days — adding in additional time on the Suricata development roadmap.
- We held our first sponsor reception during the opening night of the conference, another success which we will repeat next year. Many thanks to our sponsors for their support of SuriCon 2017!
- Once again as a community, we mapped Suricata’s development roadmap for 2018 — we also discussed improving the process of tracking and adding to the roadmap throughout the year.
- We added a new training to our pre-SuriCon line-up — our SigDev training was a huge success thanks to new OISF team members, Jack Mott and Jason Williams.
- 95% of the total cost of the conference was covered by our sponsors and Suricata training attendees — we couldn’t have done it without you!
- “SuriCon continues to be the best conference of the year!” was a common theme we received from participants — many of whom are already planning on attending next year’s conference in Vancouver.
- Other exciting announcements were made during the conference including Suricata NEW Online Training, Suricata Support Services (pilot program launching in 2018), and the new Suricata Advisory Council.
As SuriCon 2017 came to a close, we took the opportunity to announce the kick-off of Suricata’s 10-year anniversary celebration — an incredible milestone for the project and the community! Look for details coming soon.
Everything You’ve Ever Wanted to Know About How Configuration/Rules Impact Suricata Performance Brad Woodberg, Proofpoint
The Matrix, the Mobster, and the Magic Randy Caldejon, CounterFlow AI
Malware Distribution Trends and Associated Network Traffic Brad Duncan, Palo Alto Networks
Hunting BotNets: Suricata Advanced Security Analytics Anthony Tellez, Splunk
Writing Safe Parsers: Lecture and Tutorial Pierre Chifflier, ANSSI
Hardware-based Flow Offload in Suricata Alfredo Cardigliano, ntop
So What’Cha Want (to sig) in Suri 4.0 Travis Green, Francis Trudeau, Jack Mott, & Jason Williams, Emerging Threats / Proofpoint
Scalable and Efficient Packet Capture Creation and Testing on Suricata David Wharton & Will Urbanski, SecureWorks
Conquering the IDS Alert Challenge with Splunk and Suricata Brennan Lodge, Bloomberg LP
Current & Future Industrial Detections in Suricata Gene Stevens & Danny Browning, ProtectWise
Use Case of Suricata Embedded within Professional THALES CYBELS SENSOR Probe Pascal Delalande, Thales Communications
SEPTun 2 Peter Manev, OISF / Stamus Networks & Michal Purzynski, Mozilla
Suricata Logging Empowerment Giuseppe Longo, Stamus
Like Sigging Phish in a Barrel Jason Williams, Emerging Threats / Proofpoint / OISF
Finding the Bad Guys, Yes Really Eric Leblond, OISF / Stamus Networks
Suricata in the Cloud Michal Purzynski, Mozilla
Malware Analysis: Suricata & Splunk for Better Rule Writing Anthony Tellez, Splunk
Thanks again to our incredible sponsors!
Robert Haist, DCSO
Phillip Schildein, DCSO