SIXTH ANNUAL SURICON IN BOSTON AND STREAMED ONLINE!
The FIRST Hybrid SuriCon!
After a long two years apart, community members from across the globe came together to participate in SuriCon2021. Those that were unable to join in Boston were able to access our livestream and participate in the SuriCon Discord. Over 15 Discord channels allowed both in-person and virtual attendees, speakers, sponsors, posters submitters, and OISF team members to network, chat, and ask questions. No matter where they were located, attendees enjoyed a week of all-things Suricata, including training sessions, talks, poster sessions, and community.
Some highlights from 2021…
- We had an unprecedented yet wonderful sixth year with a fully hybrid SuriCon2021 where virtual and in-person attendees were able to join together to discuss and learn more about Suricata.
- This year, we proudly hosted 20 unique talks, including 4 lightning talks, with 26 speakers.
- We welcomed 3 new OISF team members since SuriCon 2019, and they were introduced to the community.
- Capture-the-Flag was a hit again, with our grand prize donated by our very generous Community Leader sponsors at OPNsense. Overall, 51 registered users, including 31 registered teams, took on the 44 challenges. We extend a huge congratulations to this year’s winner — team Meerkat Manor!
- Our 15 SuriCon2021 sponsors were welcomed with signage at the sponsor reception, and in-person attendees were able to enjoy a social hour hosted in the atrium at the Boston Marriott.
- In lieu of a speaker gift, this year’s SuriCon speakers were given the option to have a $50 donation to Outreachy made on their behalf. $850 USD was raised thanks to our speakers, which OISF rounded up to $1000 USD. Learn more about Outreachy here: Outreachy | Internships Supporting Diversity in Tech
- Our 3rd annual SuriCon poster session took place in-person and on Discord, where posters could share their findings and attendees could comment.
- Our Suricata Roadmap Sessions were a success, encouraging dialogue about the future of Suricata during all 3 days of the general conference. We were joined by 62 unique viewers on Zoom along with our 65 in-person attendees.
- Our newly updated Threat Hunting and Intrusion Analysis + Advanced Deployment with Suricata trainings were offered virtually and in-person at Wentworth University.
We are so very thankful to those that supported us. Sponsors, consortium members, in-person AND virtual attendees — we couldn’t have done this without you!
More information on SuriCon2022 location and dates to come — we can’t wait to see you there!
Lightning Talk: Local ETL with Vector and Suricata — Danny Browning
Lightning Talk: Boosting Suricata with Datasets — Shivani Bhardwaj
Lightning Talk: Adding PostgreSQL Support to Suricata — Juliana Fajardini
Lightning Talk: Improving Python Tools for Suricata: My Outreachy Internship — Tharushi Jayaskara